ALBY, a pleasant scattered village and parish, 5 miles N. by E. of Aylsham, had 346 inhabitants in 1831, but only 231 in 1861. It contains 811A., of which 130A. were enclosed in 1842.
W.F. Windham, Esq., and Messrs John Amos, John Cooke, William Wicks, William Watts, and John Temple, and some smaller owners, have estates here; but the Earl of Orford is lord of the manor, and patron of the rectory, which was valued in the King's Book at £7. 11s. 8d., and is now in the incumbency of the Rev. Thomas Romaine Govett, who has a good residence which was mostly rebuilt in 1843, at a cost of £600. The glebe is about 15A., and the tithes were commuted in 1838 for £202 per annum.
The Church (St. Ethelbert) a small ancient building with a square tower, is at the west end of the parish, but most of the houses are about a mile to the east, and some of them half a mile west, near Thwaite Green.
The School was built in 1853, but is only used on Sundays.
The chief residents are -
Govett The Rev. T.R. Rectory Blythe Denis carpenter Carr Edmund parish clerk Coe Thomas gardener Pearse Maria victualler, Horse Shoes farmers Amos John Thwaite Common Farrow Thomas King Robert Park Farm Pedgrift Thomas Richardson Richard Manor House Temple JohnPOST from Norwich, via Hanworth.
Copyright © Pat Newby.