Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Alby

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Richard Johns]

ALBY, a pleasant scattered village and parish, 5 miles N. by E. of Aylsham, had 346 inhabitants in 1831, but only 299 in 1841. It contains 745A., of which 85A. are in Hanworth Park, and 130A. were enclosed in 1842. The Earl of Orford and W. H. Windham and W. Wicks, Esqrs., own most of the soil, and the Earl is patron of the rectory, valued in the King's Book at £7.11s.8d., and now enjoyed by the Rev. Samuel Rees, M.A., who rebuilt the greater part of the Rectory House in 1843, at a cost of £600, of which £475 was obtained from Queen Anne's Bounty. The glebe is about 15A., and the tithes were commuted in 1838 for £200 per annum.

The Church (St. Ethelbert,) is at the west end of the parish, but most of the houses are about a mile to the east, and some of them half a mile west, near Thwaite Green.

DIRECTORY:

	Rees       Rev. S. M.A.  Rectory
	Breese     Robert        tailor
	Drane      Henry         vict., Horse Shoes
	Roberts    Joseph        shoemaker

	Amos       John          farmer
	Gay        Geo.          farmer
	Richardson Richd.        farmer
	Springall  Joseph        farmer
	Wright     John          farmer

See also the Alby parish page.

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
January 1999