Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk: Alburgh

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

[Transcription copyright © Pat Newby]

ALBURGH, a pleasant village on an acclivity, 3 miles N.E. by N. of Harleston, and 5 miles W. of Bungay, has in its parish 589 souls, and 1514 acres of land, belonging to several charities in Norwich, and to a number of freeholders, the largest of whom is George Grout, Esq. It lies in several manors.

The Church (All Saints,) has a square tower, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's Book at £12, and in 1831 at £395. The Earl of Effingham and others are patrons, and the Rev. Chas. Sutton, D.D., incumbent. The rector has a small manor here.

The Town Estate, purchased in the reign of Henry VIII., with £20 left by Richard Wright, and other monies paid by the parish, consists of a farm of 83A., at Wissett; 3A. 2R. of land, in Alburgh; and a farm of 25A. in South Elmham. The rents amount to £180. 18s. per annum, out of which the town reeves pay all the expenses attending the church, and other town charges, and apply the balance in aid of the poor rates. At the enclosure, under an act of the 41st George III., an allotment of 13A. 1R. 20P. was awarded to the poor of Alburgh and Wortwell, and is now let for about £40 a year, which is distributed in coals.

	  Able       Mrs C.
	  Algar      Mr Jas.
	  Barber     Wm.            corn miller
	  Blofield   Watling        bricklayer
	  Bond       Barnabas       chief constable
	  Bootman    John           blacksmith
	  Burroughs  Wm.            beerhouse
	  Debenham   John           tailor & shopkpr
	  Devereux   Benj.          plumber, &c
	  Dunn       Charles        vict. King's head
	  Dunn       Isaiah         grocer, &c
	  Ewen       Rev. Wm. M.A.  curate
	  Matthews   Jno.           shoemkr  [see note below]
	  Moore      Robert         bricklayer
	  Moore      Wm.            butcher
	  Read       S.             bricklayer
	  Reeve      Edward         beer seller
	  Smith      J.             shoemkr  [see note below]
	  Strainge   J.             wheelwright
	  Theobald   John           schoolmaster
	  Todd       Noah           bricklayer

	                   FARMERS.
	                * are Owners.

	  Bond       Barnabas       Parker    Isaac
	* Brock      John (&        Patrick   Wm.
	               joiner)      Rackham   John
	* Denny      John           Spelman   Isc. Geo.
	  Devereux   Benj.        * Walker    George
	* Doughton   Mchl.        * Youngs    John
	  Drane      Wm.          * Youngs    Saml.
	  Harvey     Thomas       * Youngs    S. jun.
	  Legood     Jerh.        * Youngs    Sarah
	  Miles      Isaac

Note: in the original this is:
     Matthews Jno. & Smith J. shoemkrs


These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

See also the Alburgh parish page.

Copyright © Pat Newby.
October 2005