This Suffolk Poor Law Union was situated to the south of Thetford and was centered in Bury St. Edmunds.
The following is extracted from pages 601 and 602 of the gazetteer and is part of the section entitled "Thingoe Hundred".
THINGOE UNION, formed under the New Poor Law, comprises an area of 133 square miles, and 46 parishes, of which 15 are in Thedwestry Hundred, 10 in Blackbourn Hundred, 3 in Risbridge Hundred, and 18 constitute the Hundred of Thingoe, just described. It has 18,031 inhabitants in 1841. The average annual expenditure of the district for the support of the poor, during the three years before the formation of the Union, was £13,538; but in 1838, the expenditure was only £9,026; and in 1840, £9,657. 4s. The number of paupers relieved in the last quarter of 1842, was 2,056, of whom 206 were in-door poor. The WORKHOUSE stands within the Borough of Bury St. Edmunds, near the Suffolk General Hospital, and is a large brick building, which when finished in 1836, at the cost of about £5,000, and has room for 250 paupers, and had 160 inmates in March 1843. Mr. Jas. Thos. Burbridge is Master of the Workhouse; and James Sparke, Esq. is Clerk to the Board of Guardians. One Guardian is returned for each parish; and the Rev. W. J. S. Casborne is the Chairman.
BURY ST. EDMUNDS UNION comprises only the Borough, the extent and population of which are already stated in the preceding Table. Its Workhouse in College-street, was built many years ago, and has room for 200 inmates, and had about 170 in March 1843; but its average number is about 100. Its expenditure for the support of the poor, in 1837, was £6,627. Six Guardians are elected for each of its two parishes. John Cambridge, Esq. is the Union Clerk; and Mr. Thomas Legge is Master of the Workhouse. The two parishes of Bury were united for the support of their poor, by an Act of Parliament passed in 1746.
Bardwell, Culford, Ingham, Ixworth, Livermere Parva, Stanton All Saints and St. John Baptist, Stow West (Chimney Mills), Thorpe-by-Ixworth, Troston, Wordwell.
Chedburgh, Denham, Depden.
Barrow, Brockley, Chevington, Flempton, Fornham (All Saints), Hargrave [Southwell Park (ex.par)], Hawstead [Hardwick (ex.par.)], Hengrave, Horningsheath, Horsecroft, Ickworth, Lackford, Nowton, Rede, Risby, Saxham (Great), Saxham (Little), Westley, Whepstead.
BOROUGH of Bury St. Edmund's - St. James' Parish, St. Mary's Parish.
Ampton, Barton (Great), Bradfield Combust, Bradfield St. Clare, Bradfield St. George, Fornham St. Genevieve, Fornham St. Martin, Livermere Magna, Pakenham, Rougham, Rushbrooke, Stanningfield, Timworth, Welnetham (Great)[Sicklesmere part], Welnetham (Little) [Sicklesmere part].
Further information can be found:
See also the Norfolk Poor Law page and the Post 1834 Unions page
Copyright © Mike Bristow.