Before 1834 some of these parishes had their own Work or Parish House (WkHse) as shown.
|Pre 1834 Union,
or Parish Work House
|Pre 1902 Union
(if not Thetford)
|Blo' Norton (from 1902)||Guiltcross|
|Bridgham (from 1902)||Guiltcross|
|Croxton (near Thetford)|
|Feltwell-Anchor (from 1864)|
|Feltwell Fen Farms (after 1858)|
|Feltwell St Mary
& St Nicholas
|Garboldisham (from 1902)||WkHse||Guiltcross|
|Gasthorpe (from 1902)||Guiltcross|
|Harling, East (from 1902)
|Harling, West (from 1902)
|Hockwold cum Wilton||WkHse|
|Lopham, North (from 1902)
|Lopham, South (from 1902)
(1866 onwards in Ely Union *)
|Riddlesworth (from 1902)||Guiltcross|
|Snarehill (Great & Little
Snarehill) (after 1858)
|Thetford St Cuthbert||WkHse|
|Thetford St Mary||WkHse|
|Thetford St Peter||WkHse|
|Weeting All Saints|
|Whittington (from 1874)
(Created from part
Online images of some poor law registers, admissions books etc. from 1796 to 1900 are available at the
Acts, descriptions, maps, some pictures etc. can be found at :-
www.workhouses.org.uk (The Story of Workhouses).
* - Redmere (or Redmore) in Clackclose Hundred, was extra parochial. The "Extra Parochial places Act" (implemented in 1858) abolished this status and any remaining at this time became civil parishes.
Further information can be found:
See also the Poor Law page, the Post 1834 Unions page and the GENUKI Suffolk pages.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.