Norfolk: Poor Law
Loddon and Clavering Union 1836-1930
- 1836 - Became a Union. Old "House of Industry" became the Union Workhouse.
It was formed from all parishes in the
Loddon and Clavering Incorporation
- House of Industry at Yarmouth Road, Heckingham, NR14 6AB,
[Map reference is TM386973]
- Description is in
Whites 1845 directory
- 1930 - Union dissolved.
- 1933 - Kelly's directory describes it as "Heckingham Certified Institution
for Mental Defectives of both sexes".
- 1937 - Kelly's directory - as 1933
- 1940's - Called "Hales Hospital"
- c.1997 - Closed.
The following table refers to the period 1836 - 1930.
Where "Lodd-I" = Loddon and Clavering Incorporation.
Poor Law Records - Images
Online images of some poor law registers, admissions books etc.
from 1796 to 1900 are available at the
- Go down the "Historical Record Collections"
- Select Title - "England, Norfolk Poor Law Union Records, 1796-1900"
- Select "Browse through xxx images"
- Under County pick - "Norfolk"
- Under Poor Law Union select the "Required Union"
- Records are under headings such as "District, Workhouse & Unknown etc."
Acts, descriptions, maps, some pictures etc. can be found at :-
www.workhouses.org.uk (The Story of Workhouses).
- Bilyard, John
- Hales Hospital, a history: workhouse to hospital.
[Norwich: Norwich Health Authority, 1987]
- Hales Hospital: Thirty Years of Friendship.
[The Friends of Hales Hospital:about 1991]
- Reid, Andy
- Fire at the workhouse!
(Series title: Teaching historical skills).
[Great Yarmouth: Bridge Publications, 1988]
Further information can be found:
See also the
Poor Law page and the
Post 1834 Unions page
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Mike Bristow.