Part of the Norfolk parish of Central Wingland (created from 1831 onwards) was in this Union. To the south is Spalding Union.
Places in Norfolk
|Central Wingland (part of)|
This comes from pages 830 and 831 of this Gazetteer under the Elloe Wapentake or Hundred section in the sub-section on Holbeach Parish.
HOLBEACH UNION comprises 11 parishes, &c., extending over an area of about 76,000 acres, and it had 19,134 inhabitants in 1851. The total average annual expenditure of the 11 parishes, &c., during the three years preceding the formation of the Union, was £10,344. The expenditure of the Union on the poor was £6506 in 1838, £5481 in 1839, and £10,720 in 1855. The Union Workhouse was built in 1837, at a cost of upwards of £6000. It is partly in Fleet parish, and was enlarged in 1851. It has now room for 310 inmates; but it had only 124 in 1841, and 250 in 1851, when the census was taken. Mr. Edward George Ayliff is the union clerk and superintendent registrar; Edward Vise and Edward Blithe Vise are registrars of marriages; and Mr. Edgar Luke Lance is the governor, and Mrs Hanh. Millns, matron of the Workhouse. The RELIEVING OFFICERS are Mr. Wm. Coxon, for Holbeach District; and Mr. Richard Winfrey, jun. for Long Sutton District;. The REGISTRARS of BIRTHS and DEATHS are Chas. Webb, for Holbeach District; and James Newman for Long Sutton District. They each have deputies, one of whom is Joseph Hardy, of Gedney hill.
The following enumeration of the eleven parishes, &c., in Holbeach Union, shews their population in 1851 :-
|Fleet||1162||Long Sutton Parish||Sutton St. Nicholas||849|
|Gedney||1950||Sutton St. Mary||4416||Tydd St. Mary||1107|
|Gedney Hill Ham.||569||Sutton St. Edmund||757||Whaplode||1719|
|Holbeach||5191||Sutton St. James||569||Whaplode Drove||845|
Further information can be found:
See also the Poor Law page and the Post 1834 Unions page
Copyright © Mike Bristow.