This Suffolk Poor Law Union was situated to the south of Diss and was centered around Eye. Part of the parish of Mendham was for a time in this Union.
The following is extracted from pages 321 and 322 of the gazetteer and is part of the section entitled "Hartismere Hundred".
HARTISMERE UNION has its Workhouses at Eye and Wortham. That at the former place had 56, and that at the latter place had 97 inmates in July 1841. The former is chiefly for the reception of able-bodied poor and infants; and the latter chiefly for boys and girls, who are employed in making shoes, clothing &c. These houses were built in the latter part of last century [ie. 18th], by the parishes in which they are situated, but have been considerably altered and enlarged since the Hundred was constituted as an Union, under the new poor law, in 1835. In 1779, Hartismere, Hoxne, and Thredling hundreds, were incorporated for the support of the poor; but as they never raised the £16,000, required for the erection of a House of Industry, the incorporation was never carried into effect; several parishes considering it more beneficial to erect workhouses of their own. The 32 parishes of Hartismere Hundred and Union comprise an area of 53,479 acres, and 18,530 souls, as has been seen in the foregoing table. The average annual expenditure on the poor of these parishes, during the three years preceding the formation of the Union, was £19,212. Their expenditure in 1838 was £9258; in 1839 £8617. 11s.; and in 1842 £7891. The Guardians meet every Monday, at the Board-room, in Eye. Sir Edw. Kerrison. Bart., is Chairman of the Board' and the Rev. Dr. Day and Mr. J. Kirby are Vice-Chairmen. Mr. Chas. Fisher Costerton, of Eye, is Union Clerk & Superintendent Registrar; and Mr. Geore [sic] Mudd, of Eye, is Registrar of Marriages for the whole Union. The REGISTRARS OF BIRTHS AND DEATHS are, Mr. R. H. Harris, for Botesdale Division; Mr. Philip Hart, of Brome, for Eye Division; and Mr. Wm. Cuthbert, for Mendlesham Division. The RELIEVING OFFICERS are, Mr Charles White, for the first; Mr. P. Hart, for the second; and Mr. Anty. Gissing, for the third-named division. The Rev. Charles Notly, B.D., is chaplain; and the masters and matrons of the Workhouses are, Mr. John and Mrs. E. Thornton, at Eye; and Mr. D. and Mrs. S. Helsdon, at Wortham.
Aspall, Bacton, Botesdale (town and township in Redgrave parish), Braiseworth, Brome, Burgate, Cotton, Eye (Old Borough), Finningham, Gislingham, Mellis, Mendlesham, Oakley, Occold, Palgrave, Redgrave, Redlingfield, Rickinghall Superior, Rishangles, Stoke Ash, Stuston, Thorndon, Thornham Magna, Thornham Parva, Thrandeston, Thwaite, Westhorpe, Wethersingsett-cum-Brockford, Wickham Skeith, Wortham, Wyverstone, Yaxley.
Further information can be found:
See also the Norfolk Poor Law page and the Post 1834 Unions page
Copyright © Mike Bristow.