Norfolk: Poor Law after 1834 Act
- 1834 - Freebridge-Lynn Poor Law Union was formed.
- 1836 - Workhouse at Eastgate House, Eastgate Drove, Gayton,
PE32 1QF, [Map reference is TF736211].
- Description is in
Whites 1845 directory
- 1930 - Union dissolved.
- 1933 - Kelly's directory has under the section "Norfolk No 8 Area
Guardians Committee" - "The Institution built 1836 to house 131 inmates".
- 1937 - Kelly's directory - as 1933 - but under "King's Lynn" entry.
- 1930 - 1948 - "Public Assistance institution.
- 1948 - 1963 - County Home for old people.
- 1964 - Building sold called "Eastgate House".
Before 1834 some of these parishes
had their own Work or Parish House (WkHse) as shown.
Poor Law Records - Images
Online images of some poor law registers, admissions books etc.
from 1796 to 1900 are available at the
- Go down the "Historical Record Collections"
- Select Title - "England, Norfolk Poor Law Union Records, 1796-1900"
- Select "Browse through xxx images"
- Under County pick - "Norfolk"
- Under Poor Law Union select the "Required Union"
- Records are under headings such as "District, Workhouse & Unknown etc."
Acts, descriptions, maps, some pictures etc. can be found at :-
www.workhouses.org.uk (The Story of Workhouses).
Further information can be found:
See also the
Poor Law page and the
Post 1834 Unions page
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Mike Bristow.