Before 1834 some of these parishes belonged to Gilbert Unions, Incorporations or had their own Work or Parish House (WkHse) as shown.
|Pre 1834 Union,
or Parish Work House
|Pre 1902 Union
(if not Depwade)
|Billingford (near Diss)|
|Bressingham (from 1902)||WkHse||Guiltcross|
|Fersfield (from 1902)||Guiltcross|
|Forncett St. Mary|
|Forncett St. Peter||WkHse|
|Pulham St. Mary Magdalen
(or Pulham Market)
|Pulham St. Mary-the-Virgin||WkHse|
(In 1885 part of Mendham
added to this parish *)
|Roydon (near Diss) (from 1902)||Guiltcross|
|Shelfanger (from 1902)||WkHse||Guiltcross|
|Stratton St. Mary|
|Stratton St. Michael|
|Thelveton (or Thelton)|
|Tivetshall St. Margaret|
|Tivetshall St. Mary|
|Winfarthing (from 1902)||WkHse||Guiltcross|
List of the names of the Guardians of the Depwade Union who served on the first board and committee members from April 1835. First applicants, includes names and parishes, who were asking for help.
Online images of some poor law registers, admissions books etc. from 1796 to 1900 are available at the
Acts, descriptions, maps, some pictures etc. can be found at :-
www.workhouses.org.uk (The Story of Workhouses).
Further information can be found:
See also the Poor Law page and the Post 1834 Unions page
Copyright © Mike Bristow.