Norfolk: Poor Law after 1834 Act
- Aylsham Poor Law Union was formed on 9th April 1836 from all the parishes in
the Buxton Incorporation and the
Oulton Gilbert Union together with some other
- 1836 to 1849 - Workhouses used were at :-
- 1. Oulton [on Aylsham Road at Map ref TG156276] was built in
1792 and used previously
by the Oulton Gilbert Union.
- 2. Buxton was built in 1801 and used initially
by the Buxton Gilbert Union
and then by the Buxton Incorporation from 1806. This workhouse
was located to the S.E of Buxton about
0.5 mile outside the village and was subsequently demolished.
- 1849 - New Workhouse at Cawston Road, Aylsham, NR11 6NA,
[Map reference is TG185266] was opened replacing previous ones.
- Description is in
Whites 1845 directory
- 1929 - Union dissolved and last Guardians meeting 1930.
- 1933 - Kelly's directory describes the building as "The Institution erected in
1849 to house 619 inmates. Ronald Victor Rylance, master".
"Norfolk No 2 Area Guardians Committee" is also mentioned.
- 1937 - Kelly's directory - as 1933.
- Building became St. Michael's Hospital.
Before 1834 some of these parishes belonged to Gilbert Unions,
Incorporations or had their own Work or Parish House (WkHse) as shown.
There were 3 districts (for administrative purposes), Buxton, Eynsford and
Oulton to which parishes were allocated and these are noted in the table
below by a "(B)", "(E)" or "(O)" respectively following the place name.
Where "Buxt-I" = Buxton Incorporation, "Oult-GU" = Oulton Gilbert Union
and "Hack-GU" = Hackford Gilbert Union.
Poor Law Records - Images
Online images of some poor law registers, admissions books etc.
from 1796 to 1900 are available at the
- Go down the "Historical Record Collections"
- Select Title - "England, Norfolk Poor Law Union Records, 1796-1900"
- Select "Browse through xxx images"
- Under County pick - "Norfolk"
- Under Poor Law Union select the "Required Union"
- Records are under headings such as "District, Workhouse & Unknown etc."
Acts, descriptions, maps, some pictures etc. can be found at :-
www.workhouses.org.uk (The Story of Workhouses).
- Eve, Julian R.
- The Poor in Aylsham 1700-1836
[Aylsham Local History Society, 1995]
The Norfolk Record Office reference for records of this Union is C/GP/1
Further information can be found:
See also the
Poor Law page and the
Post 1834 Unions page
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Mike Bristow.