The following is extracted from page 481 of the gazetteer and is part of the section entitled "Mutford and Lothingland Hundred".
The HOUSE of INDUSTRY, belonging to the Incorporated Hundred of Mutford and Lothingland, is at Oulton, about 2½ miles W. of Lowestoft, and was built in 1765, at the cost of about £3000. The 24 parishes in this Hundred were incorporated for the maintainance of their poor, by an Act of Parliament, passed Nov. 15th, 1763. This Act was amended, and its powers enlarged by another Act, passed in 1833. Notwithstanding the passing of the general Poor Law Amendment Act, in the following year, this incorporated Hundred still continues under its own local management, the Board of Guardians adopting only such suggestions, made by the Poor Law Commissioners, as they think useful and necessary. In 1836 they enlarged the House of Industry, and made some alterations for the better classification of the inmates, at the cost of about £1100. When the census was taken, the number of inmates in the following years was 233 in 1821; 221 in 1831; and 141 in 1841. During the quarter ending June 24th, 1843, the number of out-door paupers was 1739, and in-door, 210; and the expenditure for the same quarter was £1039. 8s 11¾d., exclusive of £10. 19s 6d. for registration fees. The Poor Law Commissioners, in their first report, speak highly of the comfort and economy exhibited in this House of Industry, and also of the general management of the Incorporated Hundred, which is vested with the Board of 24 Directors and 36 Guardians, elected at annual vestry meetings. Mr. Edmund Norton, of Lowestoft, is their clerk, and is also magistrate' clerk and superintendent registrar of the Hundred, of which Mr. G. S. Crisp is Registrar of Marriages. Mr. Henry Harrison is governor of the House of Industry. Mr. E. Norton is also clerk to the Mutford and Lothingland Association for the Prosecution of Felons. Sir T. H. Gooch is president, and Mr. R. H. Reeve secretary to the SUFFOLK HUMANE SOCIETY, which has life-boats at Lowestoft and Pakefield, and various apparatus on the shore for communicating with stranded vessels.
|Browston }||+ Kessingland|
|+ Carlton Colville||+ Mutford|
|@ Gorleston } (to 1891)|
|@ South Town } (to 1891)|
+ The eight parishes marked "+" form the Mutford Division or Half Hundred.
@ South Town, or Little Yarmouth, is a suburb of Great Yarmouth and form part of that borough, to which Gorleston was added by the Reform Act.
Further information can be found:
See also the Norfolk Poor Law page and the Post 1834 Unions page
Copyright © Mike Bristow.