Norfolk Poor Law
Brinton Gilbert Union 1786-1869
This comprised the parishes of Brinton, Burgh Parva and Melton Constable
- 1782 - Gilbert's Act allowed parishes to join together and run
a workhouse. This was for the old, the sick and the infirm.
- 1786 - Brinton Gilbert Union formed. This is also refered to sometimes
as the "Brinton Incorporation".
- House of Industry built at Brinton.
- 1834 - Brinton Gilbert Union parishes decided to continue as they were.
- 1869 - Brinton Gilbert Union was dissolved.
After 1869 these parishes moved as shown :-
Further information can be found:
See also the
Poor Law page and the
Post 1834 Unions page
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Mike Bristow.