Norfolk Poor Law before 1834
Acle Gilbert Union
This included the parishes of Acle, Beighton, Buckenham Ferry,
Burlingham St Andrew, Burlingham St Edmund, Burlingham St Peter,
Cantley, Fishley, Freethorpe, Halvergate, Hassingham, Limpenhoe,
Lingwood, Moulton St Mary, Ranworth-with-Panxworth, Reedham,
Southwood, Tunstall, Upton, Wickhampton and Woodbastwick
- 1782 - Gilbert's Act allowed parishes to join together and run
a workhouse. This was for the old, the sick and the infirm.
- 1788 - Acle Gilbert Union formed containing Acle and 6 other parishes.
- House of Industry built at Acle.
- 1794 - 25th March - Tunstall made a payment to Industry house [Ref.
NRO - PD 353/11 Overseers Accounts 1794-1833].
- 1807 - Michaelmas (29/Sept) - By this date parish of Beighton was paying half
yearly payments to "Acle" House [Ref. Overseers Accounts 1807-1884].
- 1825 - 29th Sept - Wickhampton makes earliest recorded payment (in these
accounts) to Acle house [Ref. NRO - PD 352/20 Overseers Accounts 1786-1826].
- 1832 - By this date 14 other parishes had joined this Union.
- 1834 - This House of Industry was burnt down in Nov. 1834.
- 1834 - Blofield Poor Law Union formed and its Lingwood Workhouse opened 1836.
- c. 1834
- Description is in
Whites 1845 directory.
After 1834 these parishes moved as shown :-
(*) indicates a workhouse at this place before it joined the Union. See the
Workhouses before 1834 page
for further details.
Further information can be found:
See also the
Poor Law page and the
Post 1834 Unions page
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Mike Bristow.