This page shows which Norfolk newspapers exist, their dates if known,
and whether they can be viewed in a library or online. It is always
worth searching for a surname or a place, for example for sales of
houses, shops and farms, bankruptcies, shipping, inquests, thefts,
court cases, and trade advertisements.
National newspapers and those for other counties are also useful,
especially for people who lived near the county boundaries. Personal
columns often include people from outside the immediate area.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
If you use this information in your research, please say that it is from Genuki
Copyright © Pat Newby.
These archives contain collections of national and international
newspapers, including those for Norfolk.
The libraries in Norwich, Great Yarmouth, King's Lynn and Thetford
have local newspapers on fiche, film and paper. See
Norfolk Family History and Local Studies Libraries
This is a list of some Norfolk newspapers. Dates are included
only to give an indication of when they were published.
- Aylsham, Reepham and Foulsham Post
- Bury and Norwich Post - 1802-1846
- Cromer, Sheringham and District Weekly Press
- Dereham and Fakenham Times
- Diss Express - 1866-1954
- Diss, Harleston, Bungay, Beccles and Eye Journal
- Downham Market Gazette - 1880-1922
- Eastern Daily Press - 1870 onwards
- Eastern Evening Mail - 1906
- Eastern Evening News - 1882 onwards
- Eastern Morning Gazette - 1902-1904
- Eastern Star - 1891-1892
- Eastern Weekly Leader - 1894-1896
- Fakenham and Wells Times
- Fakenham Post
- Holt, Melton Constable and Wells Post
- Hunstanton News and County Press
- Lynn Advertiser and West Norfolk Herald
- Lynn News
- Norfolk Chronicle - 1776-1955
- Norfolk Daily Standard - 1885-1905
- Norfolk Monitor - 1845
- Norfolk News - 1845-1961
- North Norfolk News
- North Walsham Post and East Norfolk Standard
- Norwich Advertiser
- Norwich Argus - 1863-1892
- Norwich Gazette - 1706-1747
- Norwich Mercury - 1722-1998
- Norwich Post - 1707-1712
- Norwich Postman - 1708-1709
- Norwich, Yarmouth and Lynn Courier - 1818-1823
- Swaffham Journal - 1879
- Thetford and Brandon Times
- Thetford and Watton Times
- Wells Herald
- Wymondham and Attleborough Express
- Yarmouth and Gorleston Times
- Yarmouth Mercury
- Yarmouth Weekly Standard - 1906
- Euren, A.D.
- History of Norwich Mercury.
The first provincial newspaper: a brief survey of the
earliest Norwich newspapers, with facsimile reprints of
the Norwich Mercury 1727-1728.
[Norwich, Norwich Mercury, 1924]
- Fowler, E. and Payne, M.
- The Norwich Post: its contemporaries and successors.
[Norwich, Norfolk News Co., 1951]
- Goodwyn, Edwin Alvis
- Selections from Norwich newspapers, 1760-1790.
[ISBN 0900227087, Ipswich, East Anglian Magazine Ltd, 1972]
- Stedman, R.
- Vox populi: the Norfolk newspaper press, 1760-1900.
[ISBN 0900592583, London, Library Association Thesis, 1971]
- Simons, Janice
- Marriage and Obituary Notices, extracted from The Lynn
Advertiser and West Norfolk Herald.
[1848: ISBN 1873237049, King's Lynn, Norfolk, 1992]
[1851: ISBN 1873237065, King's Lynn, Norfolk, 1994]
- Simons, Janice
- Marriages and Obituary Notices, extracted from The Lynn
Advertiser, Wisbech Constitutional Gazette, and Norfolk
and Cambridgeshire Herald.
[1880: ISBN 1873237006, King's Lynn, Norfolk, 1990]
[1881: ISBN 1873237030, King's Lynn, Norfolk, 1991]
[1882: ISBN 1873237057, King's Lynn, Norfolk, 1992]
[1890: ISBN 1873237014, King's Lynn, Norfolk, 1991]
[1900: ISBN 1873237022, King's Lynn, Norfolk, 1991]
See the separate list of