Newspapers included both national and local news. The personal
columns often included people from outside the immediate area and,
especially for people who lived near the boundaries with other counties,
it is worth looking in the newspapers for those counties.
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Pat Newby
Apart from newspapers covering all of Norfolk
(such as the Eastern Daily Press,
Eastern Evening News,
Eastern Weekly Press,
Norfolk Daily Standard,
Norfolk News, and
Norfolk Weekly Standard),
there were local newspapers
for the following towns and their regions. For a full list and dates,
British Library (Colindale) Newspaper Library catalogue via the
- British Library (Colindale) Newspaper Library
Newspapers and periodicals from all over the world, from the
17th to the 21st century, including a searchable catalogue
showing title, place of publication, and dates of publication.
Note that the newspapers themselves are not available online.
Search for "norfolk" to see the newspapers published since the
early 1700s and the parts of the county that they covered.
- Norfolk Local Studies Libraries
The libraries in Norwich, Great Yarmouth, King's Lynn and Thetford
have local newspapers.
This is a list of some of the early newspapers at the Local History
Library in Norwich. Not all dates are included, and
there may be large gaps.
- Bury Gazette - 1824-1825
- Bury and Norwich Post - 1802-1846
- Diss Express - 1866-1954
- Downham Gazette - 1880-1922
- Eastern Daily Press - 1870 onwards
- Eastern Evening Mail - 1906
- Eastern Evening News - 1882 onwards
- Eastern Morning Gazette - 1902-1904
- Eastern Star - 1891-1892
- Eastern Weekly Leader - 1894-1896
- Norfolk Chronicle - 1776-1955
- Norfolk Daily Standard - 1885-1905
- Norfolk Monitor - 1845
- Norfolk News - 1845-1961
- Norwich Argus - 1863-1892
- Norwich Gazette - 1706-1712, 1741-1747
- Norwich Mercury - 1722-1998
- Norwich Post - 1707-1712
- Norwich Postman - 1708-1709
- Norwich, Yarmouth and Lynn Courier - 1818-1823
- Swaffham Journal - 1879
- Yarmouth Weekly Standard - 1906
|Towns||Examples of Newspapers|
|Aylsham||Aylsham, Reepham and Foulsham Post|
|Cromer||Cromer, Sheringham and District Weekly Press|
|Diss||Diss, Harleston, Bungay, Beccles and Eye Journal|
|Downham Market||Downham Market Gazette|
|East Dereham||Dereham and Fakenham Times|
|Great Yarmouth||Yarmouth and Gorleston Times|
|Holt||Holt, Melton Constable and Wells Post|
|Hunstanton||Hunstanton News and County Press|
|King's Lynn||Lynn Advertiser and West Norfolk Herald|
|North Walsham||North Walsham Post and East Norfolk Standard|
|Thetford||Thetford and Watton Times|
|Wymondham||Wymondham and Attleborough Express|
- Euren, A. D.
- History of Norwich Mercury.
The first provincial newspaper: a brief survey of the
earliest Norwich newspapers, with facsimile reprints of
the Norwich Mercury 1727-1728.
[Norwich, Norwich Mercury, 1924]
- Fowler, E. and Payne, M.
- The Norwich Post: its contemporaries and successors.
[Norwich, Norfolk News Co., 1951]
- Goodwyn, Edwin Alvis
- Selections from Norwich newspapers, 1760-1790.
[ISBN 0900227087, Ipswich: East Anglian Magazine Ltd, 1972]
- Stedman, R.
- Vox populi: the Norfolk newspaper press, 1760-1900.
[ISBN 0900592583, London, Library Association Thesis, 1971]
- Simons, Janice
- Marriage and Obituary Notices, extracted from The Lynn
Advertiser and West Norfolk Herald.
[1848: ISBN 1873237049, King's Lynn, Norfolk, 1992]
[1851: ISBN 1873237065, King's Lynn, Norfolk, 1994]
- Simons, Janice
- Marriages and Obituary Notices, extracted from The Lynn
Advertiser, Wisbech Constitutional Gazette, and Norfolk &
[1880: ISBN 1873237006, King's Lynn, Norfolk, 1990]
[1881: ISBN 1873237030, King's Lynn, Norfolk, 1991]
[1882: ISBN 1873237057, King's Lynn, Norfolk, 1992]
[1890: ISBN 1873237014, King's Lynn, Norfolk, 1991]
[1900: ISBN 1873237022, King's Lynn, Norfolk, 1991]
See the separate list of