Norfolk: Gazetteers and Directories
William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1883
This is the full text from the title page, though the fonts have not been
The contents are below.
GAZETTEER AND DIRECTORY
CITY OF NORWICH,
A GENERAL SURVEY OF THE COUNTY
HISTORICAL, STATISTICAL, AND TOPOGRAPHICAL DESCRIPTIONS
OF ALL THE
HUNDREDS, BOROUGHS, TOWNS, PORTS, PARISHES, TOWNSHIPS, CHAPELRIES,
VILLAGES, HAMLETS, MANORS, AND UNIONS;
THE DIOCESE OF NORWICH;
THE SEATS OF THE NOBILITY AND GENTRY;
MAGISTRATES AND PUBLIC OFFICERS,
AND A GREAT VARIETY OF
ARCHAEOLOGICAL, ARCHITECTURAL, AGRICULTURAL, BIOGRAPHICAL,
BOTANICAL, GEOLOGICAL, AND ORNITHOLOGICAL INFORMATION.
BY WILLIAM WHITE,
AUTHOR OF SIMILIAR WORKS FOR
SUFFOLK; LINCOLNSHIRE; LEICESTERSHIRE AND RUTLAND; DEVONSHIRE;
HAMPSHIRE; AND OTHER COUNTIES.
Price, Cloth, 30s; Half-bound, 35s.
WILLIAM WHITE, HOOLE'S CHAMBERS, BANK STREET.
LONDON: SIMPKIN, MARSHALL, & CO.
[Entered at Stationers' Hall.]
The title page is followed by the following sections. They are gradually
being transcribed and put online - see the links.
- Index of Places
- Index of Principal Subjects (General)
- Norwich Index of Subjects
- Yarmouth Index of Subjects
- King's Lynn Index of Subjects
- Index to Advertisers
- Trades Index to Advertisers
- Trade Marks Index
- High Sheriffs of Norfolk since 1828
- A List of the Justices of the Peace in and for the County of Norfolk
- Seats of the Nobility, Clergy, and Gentry in Norfolk
- Norfolk Court of Sewers
- List of Fairs in Norfolk
- Population Abstracts
- Additions and Corrections
- General History and Description of the County of Norfolk
This part of the book consists of about 100 pages, and transcriptions
will be put online as each section is done.
- Norfolk Towns, Parishes, and Villages, arranged in Alphabetical Order
- There are many transcriptions online of individual places.
See the Towns and Parishes pages.
- Norfolk Professions and Trades
- White's Professional and Commercial Advertising Directory
These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and
the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web
pages. Please see the
Copyright © Pat Newby.