Extends about ten miles south from the river Yare, and is from 5 to 6 miles in breadth,- being bounded on the north by Blofield, on the east by Clavering, on the south by Earsham and a small part of the river Waveney, near Bungay; and on the west by Depwade and Henstead Hundreds.
It has generally a fertile soil, is well cultivated, and abounds with wood and water. Near the river Yare, it has a rich but watery tract of marshes, with several rivulets and "broads".
It is in the Deanery of Brooke, and Archdeaconry of Norfolk. It has its name from the market town of Loddon, where Petty Sessions are held every alternate Wednesday. Mr. Jas. Copeman is clerk to the magistrates.
It comprises 21 PARISHES, of which the following is an enumeration, shewing their population in 1841, the annual value of their lands and buildings, as assessed to the County Rates, in 1843, and their territorial extent, in assessable acres:-
|Carleton St. Peter||96||1,000||765|
|Thwaite St. Mary||110||970||667|
[There is more information about individual parishes]
* The whole of the Hundred is in LODDON and CLAVERING UNION, which was incorporated under an act passed in 1765, but is now under the new poor law, as described at a subsequent page. (See Clavering.)
The population of the Hundred, in 1831, was 7,457. The annual value of its lands and buildings, as assessed to the Property Tax, was £41,301, in 1815; and £51,704, in 1842. It is in Loddon Police Division.
Some placenames in the transcription (of pages to ) above
are given below together with their standard spelling :-
Ashby/Ashby St Mary
For more information see :-
Copyright © Mike Bristow.