Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome

Norfolk Hundreds

White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845


Is of an irregular oblong figure, 12 miles in length, and from 6 to 8 in breadth; bounded on the west by Wayland and Mitford, on the south by Shropham and Depwade, on the east by Humbleyard and the county of the city of Norwich, and on the north by Eynesford and Taverham. It is divided from the latter by the River Wensum, and is intersected by the Yare and several smaller streams, and crossed by three excellent turnpikes, from Norwich, to Watton, East Dereham, and Thetford; and parallel with the latter, its southern part is traversed by the Norwich and Brandon Railway, passing within a mile south of Wymondham.

It has its name from four hills, near Carlton, where the Hundred Court was formerly held; but it was then called a Hundred and a Half, and belonged to the Crown, till King John and his successors granted most of the manors to the Earl of Arundel and John le Mareschall, lord of Hingham, from whom they have passed to Lord Wodehouse, Lord Stafford, and many others; but the chief manor, in the extensive parish of Wymondham, which was called the Half Hundred, is still held by the Crown.

Forehoe forms, with Mitford, the DEANERY OF HINGHAM, in the Archdeaconry of Norfolk, and is an extensive district of fertile and highly improved land, nearly all the commons having been enclosed during the present and the latter part of the last century.

All the 24 parishes in Forehoe Hundred, except Honingham (in St. Faith's Union,) were incorporated by act of Parliament, in 1776, for the maintenance of their poor, and the erection of a HOUSE OF INDUSTRY, at Wicklewood, at the cost of £11,000, borrowed, at five per cent interest, on a tontine scheme of 110 shares. Each subscriber of £100 named some young person on whose life his annuity was to depend; and of these nominees only about 30 survive, so that the interest of the £11,000 is now divided among about 30 shareholders, and will ultimately become the sole property of that person whose nominee may be the last survivor.

This large Workhouse has accommodations for 400 paupers, but it has seldom half that number, having only 135 in July 1841, and 144 in Nov. 1844. The 23 incorporated parishes of Forehoe Hundred comprise about 36,500 acres, and 13,520 inhabitants. Their annual expenditure, in support of in and out-door poor, since 1838, has averaged only about £4300; but the amount for the quarter ending Sept. 1844 was £1513.

The "Board of Directors and Acting Guardians" are still governed by their own local act of Parliament, though they have conformed to some of the regulations of the New Poor Law. Mr. John Freeman Bayfield, of Norwich, is clerk to the Board; Mr. Stephen Wade, master of the Workhouse; and the Rev. M.B. Darby, chaplain.

Five surgeons are appointed for attending the poor. Mr. Edward Press, of Hingham, is Superintendent Registrar of the incorporated parishes; and the District Registrars are, Mr. Robert Tunaley, of Wymondham, and Mr. Wm. Sturgess, of Bawburgh.

PETTY SESSIONS, for the Hundred of Forehoe, are held on the first Tuesday in every month, at the White Hart, Hingham; and on the 3rd Tuesday, at the King's Head, Wymondham. Mr. J.S. Cann, of Wymondham is clerk to the Magistrates.

The following enumeration of the 24 parishes of this Hundred shews their population in 1841, their annual value, as assessed to the county rate in 1843, and their territorial extent, in assessable acres.

PARISHES. Pop. Annl.
Barford  41724781059
Barnham-Broom  49431221710
Bawburgh  40421421362
Bowthorpe    34  586  600
Brandon Parva  2221494  950
Carleton-Forehoe  1511078  688
Colton  2821448  893
Costessey, or }
Cossey          }
Coston    48  474  353
Crownthorpe  111  938  671
Deopham  52527041626
Easton  27918241557
Hackford  2641300  721
Honingham  35829622527
Kimberley  14821501372
Marlingford  1951178  617
Morley St. Botolph  3281568  819
Morley St. Peter  19116921009
Runhall  2481176  791
Welborne  2341294  733
Wicklewood *  77529061527
Wramplingham  2361678  830
Wymondham *517923,01410,484

Total +13,88871,36439,042

[There is more information about individual parishes]

* Wicklewood includes 135 persons in the Forehoe Incorporated Workhouse, noticed above; and Wymondham includes 24 in the Bridewell. The latter extensive parish is in six divisions.
+ Forehoe Hundred had 13,838 inhabitants, in 1831. Its annual value, as assessed to the property tax, was £56,618, in 1815, and £80,379, in 1842. It is in Long Stratton, Dereham, and Hockham Police Divisions.


Some placenames in the transcription (of pages 430 to 431) above are given below together with their standard spelling :-
  Hackford/Hackford (near Wymondham)

For more information see :-

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.
If you use this information in your research, please say that it is from Genuki Norfolk.

Copyright © Mike Bristow.
April 2006