Is about ten miles in length, from east to west, and six in breadth, extending from 9 to 15 miles S. by W. of Norwich. It is a fertile and well-wooded district, intersected by good roads and several small rivulets, which give rise to the river Tas, or Taiis[sic], which was formerly a much larger stream, crossed near Tasburgh by a deep ford, from which the Hundred had its name.
It is bounded on the north by Forehoe, Humbleyard, and Henstead; on the east by Loddon; on the south, by Diss and Earsham Hundreds; and on the west by Shropham Hundred.
It forms the Deanery of Depwade, in the Archdeaconry of Norfolk; and the fee of it was in the crown till the reign of Richard I. In 1327, Edward III. granted it to John de Clavering, but it is now divided among various proprietors. Its Petty Sessions are held at Long Stratton, every Tuesday; and Mr. J. Hotson is clerk to the magistrates.
The following enumeration of its 21 parishes shews their population in 1841; the annual value of their lands and buildings, as assessed to the County Rate, in 1843, and their territorial extent, in assessable acres.
|Forncett St. Mary||305||1556||731|
|Forncett St. Peter||669||3942||1851|
[There is more information about individual parishes]
* Its population, in 1831, was 10,031; and its annual value, as assessed to the property tax, was £45,832, in 1815; and £61,991, in 1842. It is in Long Stratton Police Division.
DEPWADE UNION comprises all the 21 parishes of Depwade Hundred, 13 parishes in Earsham Hundred, and 9 parishes in Diss Hundred. These 43 parishes comprise an area of 110 square miles, and had 25,590 inhabitants, in 1841, of whom 12,618 were males, and 12,972 females. Their average annual expenditure, from 1832 to 1835, was £24,008; but in 1838, it was only £13,459. Their expenditure, solely on their in and out door poor, in 1842 was £11,669; and for the quarter ending Dec. 1844, £3586. 17s 11¼d. The Union Workhouse is at Pulham St. Mary Magdalen, in Earsham Hundred, and was built in 1836-7, at the cost of £8240. It has room for 400 inmates, and had 130 in July, 1841, but has a much larger number in winter. They are fed and clothed at the weekly cost of 2s. 0½d. per head.
Mr. John Hotson, of Long Stratton, is Union Clerk and Supt. Registrar; and Mr. Thomas Mainey is master of the Workhouse. Messrs. Robt. Holmes, J. Stanton, and Rt. Austin, are the relieving officers; and Messrs. Robt. Holmes, James Aldis, John Stanton, and Thos. Cotman, are the District Registrars. Seven Surgeons are employed by the Union.
Some placenames in the transcription (of pages 699 to 700) above
are given below together with their standard spelling :-
Moulton Great/Great Moulton or Moulton St Michael, Stratton St. Mary/Long Stratton, Stratton St.Michl./Stratton St Michael (Long Stratton), Tibbenham/Tibenham
For more information see :-
Copyright © Mike Bristow.