Genuki Logo Norfolk Welcome   Contents and Search

Norfolk Hundreds

White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845

BROTHERCROSS HUNDRED

Is one of the smallest divisions of Norfolk, being of an oblong figure, only eight miles in length from north to south, and five miles in breadth. It is bounded on the east by North Greenhoe; on the south by Gallow; on the west by Smithdon Hundred; and on the north by the Ocean; where it is terminated by an insulated ridge of sand hills, called the Scald Heads, occupied only by rabbits, and having near it a prolific bed of excellent oysters.

This Hundred is generally a fertile and picturesque country, and forms, with 18 parishes in Gallow Hundred, the Deanery of Burnham.

It contains only nine PARISHES, viz:- the six Burnhams, North and South Creake, and Waterden, which are in Docking Union, (see page 633 [this is Smithdon Hundred],) and comprise 4,382 inhabitants, and 19,169 acres of land, assessed to the County rate, in 1843, at the annual value of £25,876; and to the property tax, at £20,780 in 1815, and at £25,109 in 1842.

They are all in Docking Police Division, except Waterden, which is in that of Briningham.

Petty Sessions are held at Burnham-Westgate, on the last Saturday of every month; and Mr. Thos. Garwood is clerk to the magistrates.

Brothercross and Gallow Hundreds, were possessed by the Crown, till Henry I. gave them to Wm. Earl of Warren and Surrey, to be held of the castle of Norwich, paying two marks yearly.


For more information about each place follow the direct links below:-
Burnham Deepdale
Burnham Norton
Burnham Overy
Burnham Thorpe
Burnham Ulph and Sutton
Burnham Westgate or Burnham Market
North Creake
South Creake
Waterden

The above is a transcription of page 662.


For more information see also:-

These pages are for personal use only. They may not be copied, and the links within them may not be harvested for use on your own web pages. Please see the Copyright Notice.

Copyright © Mike Bristow.
March 2006