The Church of England played an important role in the community over matters both ecclesiastical and secular from the 1300s until its power was diminished in the 1800s with the advent of the General Register Office, Poor Law Reform, Will probate changes etc.
The areas of land over which the church, its courts and officials presided over are known as ecclesiatical jurisdictions.
These areas were generally based on grouping Parishes together to form a Deanery which themselves are formed into Archdeaconries overseen by a court (see later).
The items covered included Parish Registers, Bishop's and Archdeacon's transcripts, church maintenance, poor relief etc. at a local level through to the issuing of Marriage licences and Will probate (before 1858).
This directory gives the church court for each parish in which records should be searched for in the first instance.
Copyright © Mike Bristow.
By the 1300s England had been split up for ecclesiastical matters into two areas (called Provinces) each of which was headed by an Archbishop. One was the Province of Canterbury and the other the Province of York. The Archdiocese of Canterbury (the senior of the two) covered most of southern England which included all of the county of Norfolk.
Each Archdiocese contains a number of dioceses (also known as sees) each of which was headed by a Bishop.
The diocese of Norwich covered the Counties of Norfolk and Suffolk and parts of Cambridgeshire until 1837 (under the Jurisdiction of the Bishop of Norwich).At this point in time the Norwich diocese:-
Each diocese was split further into Archdeaconries (overseen by an Archdeacon) and Peculiars (normally answerable directly to the Bishop or his representative) all of which held their own courts. Archdeaconries did not cover specific areas of the county, such as east and west, but rather a number of groups of parishes (as will be seen later). Similarly Peculiars covered a few parishes which were very often spread far and wide about the diocese.
Each Archdeaconry consisted of a number of Deaneries.
Each parish was in either a Deanery and therefore in the Archdeaconry of which the Deanery was a part, or less often in a Peculiar, for matters which required church administration.This gives a tiered structure of the following form:-
Archdiocese | Diocese | +-------+--------+ | | Archdeaconry Peculiar | | Deanery | | | Parish Parish
From the following lists search for the parishes where the parties lived, owned land etc. as they have a direct bearing on which church courts records to search first.
The approximate layout of the Deaneries in the county is as follows:
NORTH SEA County of NORFOLK __ _____ ______/ \_______/ \______ C=Cromer L / \_C__ I / WALSINGHAM HOLT 1 \__ N / HEACHAM(*) REPPS(*) \ C / \__ S KL=King's | 1 BURNHAM(*) \_ Lynn ) 1 WAXHAM(*) \_ ____ / INGWORTH \_ / \ | 3+ TOFTREES \ / KL SPARHAM TAVERHAM 1 \_ _/ LYNN LYNN BRISLEY 1+ FLEGG \ | -N- 2 \ | NORWICH BLOFIELD | \_ HINGHAM(*) 1+ __ | C \5 / \ | A | FINCHAM(*) HUMBLEYARD(*) | GY M | 4 BRECCLES BROOKE(*) \ B | DEPWADE(*) __ ) GY=Great S \_____ CRANWICH(*) /\____/ \_) Yarmouth \ ROCKLAND(*) | \ _______ / \______/ /THETFORD REDENHALL(*) / -N- = City of T___________ ___/ Norwich T=Thetford \___D______/ D=Diss LOTHINGLAND 6 7 County of SUFFOLK FORDHAM BLACKBOURN HARTISMERE HOXNE SOUTH WANGFORD 8 ELMHAM
Notes on the map above:-
- Deaneries follow with parishes contained in each:
Acle, Beighton, Blofield, Braydeston (or Bradeston),
Burlingham North (Burlingham St. Andrew & St. Peter),
Burlingham South (Burlingham St. Edmund),
Cantley, Fishley, Freethorpe, Halvergate,
Hassingham, Hemblington, Limpenhoe,
Lingwood, Little Plumstead, Moulton, Postwick,
South Walsham St. Lawrence, South Walsham St. Mary,
Southwood, Strumpshaw, Thorpe St Matthew (1852),
Tunstall, Upton, Wickhampton,
Witton (near Blofield), Woodbastwick.
Books see Brisley.
Ashill, Breccles (Breckles), Carbrooke, Caston, Griston,
Little Ellingham, Merton, Ovington,
Saham Toney, Scoulton, Stow-Bedon, Thompson,
Threxton, Tottington, Watton.
Books see Brisley.
Beeston next Mileham, Beetley, Brisley, East Bilney, East Lexham, Gateley, Great Dunham, Great Fransham, Gressenhall, Horningtoft, Kempston, Litcham, Little Bittering, Little Dunham, Little Fransham, Longham, Mileham, North Elmham, Oxwick, Pattesley, Rougham, Scarning, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Tittleshall, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St. Peter, Wellingham, Wendling, West Lexham, Whissonsett, Worthing.
Ashby, Billockby, Burgh St. Margaret & St. Mary,
Caister next Yarmouth, Clippesby, East Somerton,
Filby, Great Yarmouth, Hemsby, Mautby,
Oby, Ormesby St. Margaret, Ormesby St. Michael,
Repps with Bastwick, Rollesby,
Runham, Scratby, Stokesby with Herringby,
Thurne (or Thirne), Thrigby, West Somerton, Winterton.
Books see Brisley.
Bale (or Bathley), Bayfield, Blakeney, Bodham, Briningham, Brinton, Briston, Cley-next-the-Sea, Edgefield, Field Dalling, Glandford, Gunthorpe, Hempstead (by Holt), Holt, Hunworth, Kelling, Langham, Letheringsett, Melton Constable with Burgh Parva, Morston, Salthouse, Saxlingham, Sharrington, Stody, Swanton Novers, Thornage, Weybourne, Wiveton.
Alby, Aylsham, Baconsthorpe, Banningham, Barningham Parva, Belaugh, Blickling, Booton, Brampton, Burgh-next-Aylsham, Buxton, Calthorpe, Cawston, Colby, Corpusty, Erpingham, Hautbois-Magna (Great Hautbois), Hevingham, Heydon, Ingworth, Irmingland, Itteringham, Lammas with Little Hautbois, Mannington, Marsham, Oulton, Oxnead, Saxthorpe, Scottow, Skeyton, Stratton Strawless, Swanton Abbot, Thwaite All Saints, Tuttington, Wickmere, Wolterton.
Anmer, Ashwicken, Babingley, Bawsey, Castle Acre, Central Wingland, Clenchwarton, Congham, Dersingham, East Walton, East Winch, Flitcham cum Appleton, Gayton, Gayton Thorpe, Gaywood, Great Massingham, Grimstone, Harpley, Hillington, Islington, Leziate, Little Massingham, Lynn All Saints (South Lynn), Lynn St. Margaret, Lynn St. Nicholas, Lynn St John (1846), Middleton, Mintlyn, North Runcton, Pentney, Sandringham, Setchey, St Edmund (North Lynn), St. Peter (West Lynn), Terrington St. Clement, Terrington St. John, Tilney St. Lawrence, Tilney All Saints, Walpole St. Andrew, Walpole St. Peter, Walsoken, West Bilney, West Newton, West Walton, West Winch, West Acre, Wiggenhall St. German, Wiggenhall St. Mary Magdalen, Wiggenhall St. Mary the Virgin, Wiggenhall St. Peter, Wolverton (or Wolferton).
contains the following parishes in the City of Norwich:-
All Saints, Lakenham St Mark (1845), New Catton Christ Church (1842), St. Andrew, St. Augustus, St. Benedict, St. Clement, St. Edmund, St. Etheldred, St. George Colegate, St. George Tombland, St. Giles, St. Gregory, St. John Maddermarket, St. John Sepulchre, St. John Timberhill, St. Julian, St. Lawrence, St. Margaret, St. Martin-at-Oak, St. Martin-at-Palace, St. Mary-at-Coslany, St. Michael-at-Coslany (St. Miles), St. Michael-at-Plea, St. Michael-at-Thorn, St. Peter Hungate, St. Peter Mancroft, St. Peter-per-Mountergate (Parmentergate), St. Peter Southgate, St. Saviour, St. Simon & St. Jude, St. Stephen, St. Swithin
and the following areas of Norwich:-
Liberty of the Town Close (ex par.), Carrow, Trowse Millgate & Bracondale (see also Trowse with Newton).
Alderford, Bawdeswell, Billingford (near East Dereham), Bintree (Bintry), Brandiston(e), Bylaugh, Elsing, Foulsham, Foxley, Great Witchingham, Guestwick, Guist, Hackford by Reepham, Haveringland, Kerdiston, Little Witchingham, Lyng, Morton-on-the-Hill, Reepham, Ringland, Salle, Sparham, Swannington, Thelmelthorpe, Thurning, Twyford, Weston Longville, Whitwell, Wood Dalling, Wood Norton.
Attlebridge, Belaugh, Beeston St. Andrew, Coltishall, Crostwick, Drayton, Felthorpe, Frettenham, Hainford, Hellesdon, Horsford, Horsham St. Faith's, Horstead with Stanninghall, Newton St. Faith's, Rackheath, Salhouse, Spixworth, Taverham, Wroxham.
Thetford St. Cuthbert, Thetford St. Mary (SFK), Thetford St. Peter.
Colkirk, East Rainham (or Rainham St. Mary), Great Ryburgh, Helhoughton, Hempton, Pudding Norton, Shereford (Sheringford), South Rainham (or Rainham St. Martin), Testerton, Toftrees, West Rainham (or Rainham St. Margaret).
Barney, Binham, Cockthorpe, Egmere, Great Snoring, Great Walsingham, Hindringham, Holkham, Houghton-in-the-Dale (Houghton St Giles), Little Walsingham, Quarles, Stiffkey, Thursford, Warham All Saints, Warham St. Mary, Wells-next-the-Sea, Wighton.
Aldeby, Alpington, Ashby, Bedingham, Bergh Apton, Bixley, Bramerton, Broome, Brooke, Burgh St. Peter, Caistor St.Edmunds, Carleton St. Peter, Chedgrave, Claxton, Ditchingham, Ellingham, Framingham Earl, Framingham Pigot, Geldeston, Gillingham All Saints & Gillingham St. Mary, Haddiscoe, Hales, Hardley, Heckingham, Hedenham, Hillington (or Hellington), Holverstone, Howe, Kirby Bedon, Kirby Cane, Kirstead with Langhale, Langley, Loddon, Mundham, Norton Subcourse, Poringland Great (or East), Poringland Little (or West), Raveningham, Rockland St. Mary, Saxlingham-Thorpe & Nethergate, Seething, Shotesham All Saints (Shottesham All Saints), Shotesham St. Mary & St. Martin (Shottesham St. Mary), Stoke Holy Cross, Sisland, Stockton, Surlingham, Thorpe next Haddiscoe, Thurlton, Thurton, Thwaite St. Mary, Toft Monks, Topcroft, Wheatacre All Saints, Whitlingham, Woodton, Yelverton.
Alethorpe (ex. par.), Bagthorpe, Barmer, Broomsthorpe, Burnham-Deepdale, Burnham-Norton, Burnham-Overy, Burnham Sutton-cum-Burnham Ulph, Burnham-Thorpe, Burnham-Westgate, Dunton-cum-Doughton, East Barsham, East Rudham, Fakenham (or Fakenham Lancaster), Fulmodeston cum Croxton, Kettlestone, Little Ryburgh, Little Snoring, New Houghton, North Barsham, North Creake, Pensthorpe, Sculthorpe, South Creake, Stibbard, Syderstone, Tatterford, Tattersett (or Gatesend), Waterden, West Barsham, West Rudham.
Bodney, Buckenham Tofts (or Buckenham Parva), Caldecote, Cockley-Cley, Colveston, Cranwich, Croxton (near Thetford), Didlington, East Bradenham, Feltwell St. Mary & St. Nicholas, Foulden, Gooderstone, Hilborough, Hockwold cum Wilton, Holme Hale, Houghton-on-the-Hill, Igborough, Langford, Little Cressingham, Lynford, Methwold, Mundford, Narborough (Narburgh), Narford, Necton, Newton by Castleacre, North Pickenham, Northwold, Oxborough, Santon, South Pickenham, Southacre, Sporle with Palgrave, Stanford, Sturston, Swaffham, Weeting with Bromehill, West Bradenham, West Tofts.
Ashwellthorpe, Aslacton, Bunwell, Carleton-Rode, Forncett St. Mary, Forncett St. Peter, Fritton, Fundenhall, Great Moulton, Hapton, Hardwick, Hempnall, Morningthorpe, Shelton, Stratton St.Mary, Stratton St.Michael, Tacolneston(e), Tasburgh, Tharston, Tibenham, Wacton.
Barton Bendish, Beechamwell, Bexwell, Boughton, Crimplesham, Denver, Downham Market, Fincham, Fordham, Hilgay, Holme next Runcton, Marham, Outwell, Roxham, Ryston, Shingham, Shouldham, Shouldham-Thorpe, South Runcton, Southery, Stoke Ferry, Stow-Bardolph, Stradsett, Tottenhill, Upwell, Wallington cum Thorpland, Watlington, Welney, Wereham, West Dereham, Wimbotsham, Wormegay, Wretton.
Barwick, Bircham Newton, Bircham Tofts, Brancaster, Choseley, Docking, Fring, Great Bircham, Great Ringstead, Heacham, Holme-next-the-Sea, Hunstanton, Ingoldisthorpe, Shernborne, Snettisham, Stanhoe, Thornham, Titchwell.
Barford, Barnham-Broom, Bawburgh, Bowthorpe, Brandon Parva,
Carleton-Forehoe, Colton, Costessey (or Cossey), Coston,
Cranworth, Crownthorpe, Deopham,
East Dereham, East Tuddenham,
Easton, Garvestone, Hackford,
Hardingham, Hingham, Hockering, Hoe,
Letton, Marlingford, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh,
Morley St. Botolph, Morley St. Peter,
North Tuddenham, Reymerston, Runhall, Shipdham, Southburgh,
Welborne, Westfield, Whinbergh, Wicklewood, Wood Rising,
Wramplingham, Wymondham, Yaxham.
Books see Brisley.
Bracon Ash, Colney, Cringleford, Dunston, Earlham, East Carlton (East Carleton), Flordon, Heigham, Hethel, Hethersett, Intwood, Keswick, Ketteringham, Markshall, Melton Magna (Great Melton), Melton Parva (Little Melton), Mulbarton, Newton Flotman, Swainsthorpe, Swardeston, Wreningham.
Alburgh, Bressingham, Billingford (near Diss), Brockdish, Burston, Denton, Dickleburgh, Diss, Earsham, Fersfield, Frenze, Gissing, Needham, Pulham St. Mary Magdalen (or Pulham Market), Pulham St. Mary-the-Virgin, Redenhall with Harleston, Roydon (near Diss), Rushall, Scole, Shelfanger, Shimpling, Starston, Thelveton (or Thelton), Thorpe Abbotts, Thorpe Parva, Tivetshall St. Margaret, Tivetshall St. Mary, Winfarthing, Wortwell.
Aldborough, Antingham, Aylmerton, Baconsthorpe, Barningham-Norwood, Barningham Town (or Barningham-Winter), Beeston Regis, Bessingham, Cromer, East Beckham, Felbrigg, Gimingham, Gresham, Gunton, Hanworth, Knapton, Matlask(e), Metton, Mundesley (Mundsley), North Repps, Overstrand, Plumstead, Roughton, Runton, Sheringham, Sidestrand, South Repps, Suffield, Sustead, Thorpe Market, Thurgarton, Trimingham, Trunch, Upper Sheringham.
Attleborough, Banham, Besthorpe, Blo' Norton, Brettenham, Bridgham, East Harling, East Wretham, Eccles, Garboldisham, Gasthorpe, Great Ellingham, Great Snarehill (ex par.), Hargham, Hockham, Illington, Kenninghall, Kilverstone, Larling, Little Snarehill (ex par.), New Buckenham, North Lopham, Old Buckenham, Quiddenham (Quidenham), Riddlesworth, Rockland All Saints, Rockland St. Andrew, Rockland St. Peter, Roudham, Rushford (Rushworth), Shropham, Snetterton, South Lopham, West Harling, West Wretham, Wilby.
Alderford, Bawdeswell, Billingford (near East Dereham), Bintree (Bintry), Brandistone, Bylaugh, Elsing, Foulsham, Foxley, Great Witchingham, Guestwick, Guist, Hackford by Reepham, Haveringland, Kerdiston, Little Witchingham, Lyng, Morton-on-the-Hill, Reepham, Ringland, Sall, Sparham, Swannington, Thelmelthorpe, Thurning, Twyford, Weston Longville, Whitwell, Wood Dalling, Wood Norton.
Ashmanhaugh, Bacton, Barton Turf,
Beeston St. Lawrence, Bradfield, Brumstead, Catfield, Crostwight,
Dilham, East Ruston, Edingthorpe,
Felmingham, Happisburgh (or Hasbro'), Hempstead with Eccles (near Stalham),
Hickling, Honing, Horning, Horsey-next-the-Sea,
Hoveton St. John, Hoveton St. Peter, Ingham,
Irstead, Lessingham, Ludham, Neatishead, North Walsham,
Palling-near-the-Sea (Sea Palling),
Paston, Potter Heigham, Ridlington, Sco-Ruston (or South Ruston),
Sloley, Smallburgh, Stalham, Sutton, Swafield, Tunstead,
Walcott, Waxham, Westwick, Witton (near North Walsham), Worstead.
Books see Brisley.
- follow with parishes contained in each:
Eaton, Great Plumstead, Hindolveston, Lakenham, Martham,
Sedgeford, Sprowston, Trowse (with Newton), West Beckham
and the following parishes in Norwich :-
Thorpe Episcopi (or Thorpe next Norwich or Thorpe St Andrew).
Castle Rising, North Wootton, Roydon All Saints (near King's Lynn), South Wootton.
The administration of Peculiar jurisdictions (in the Norwich Diocese) changed on 1st July 1847 (additional notes contain more information). Their administration (including the Courts) moved from being under the control of the Bishop to be under the authority of the Deaneries (except the parish of "Norwich - St. Mary in the Marsh" ie. the Cathedral which was later) are shown in the table following.
Note that the Peculiar courts still existed and proved some wills etc. until their abolition in 1857 although Deanery and Archdeaconry records should also be checked.
|Emneth||Wisbech (*)||Bishop of Ely|
| Norwich - St. Mary in the Marsh
(inc. Cathedral Precincts) (from 1858)
|Norwich - St. Helen||Norwich||Norwich||DCN|
| Norwich - St. James|
(inc. hamlet of Pockthorpe)
|Norwich - St. Paul||Norwich||Norwich||DCN|
| Roydon All Saints
(near King's Lynn)
| Thorpe Episcopi
(or Thorpe next Norwich)
| Trowse (with Newton)
(inc. hamlets of Trowse Millgate,
Carrow & Bracondale)
Note for Emneth - Wisbech Deanery is in the Diocese of Ely.
Anmer, Ashwicken, Babingley, Bawsey, Castle Acre, Castle Rising, Congham, Dersingham, East Walton, East Winch, Flitcham cum Appleton, Gayton, Gayton Thorpe, Gaywood, Great Massingham, Grimstone, Harpley, Hillington, Leziate, Little Massingham, Middleton, Mintlyn, North Runcton, North Wootton, Pentney, Roydon All Saints (near King's Lynn), Sandringham, Setchey, South Wootton, West Bilney, West Newton, West Winch, West Acre, Wolverton (or Wolferton).
Central Wingland, Clenchwarton, Islington, Lynn All Saints (South Lynn), Lynn St. Margaret, Lynn St. Nicholas, Lynn St John, St Edmund (North Lynn), St. Peter (West Lynn), Terrington St. Clement, Terrington St. John, Tilney St. Lawrence, Tilney All Saints, Walpole St. Andrew, Walpole St. Peter, Walsoken, West Walton, Wiggenhall St. Germans, Wiggenhall St. Mary Magdalen, Wiggenhall St. Mary the Virgin, Wiggenhall St. Peter.
Little Ouse was created from parts of Hilgay, Feltwell St. Mary & St. Nicholas, Littleport (Cambs), and entire parishes of Feltwell Anchor and Redmore (Redmere) which were both extra parochial. It is in the Deanery of Ely and under the jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely.
Aldeby, Bedingham, Broome, Burgh St. Peter, Chedgrave, Ditchingham, Ellingham, Geldeston, Gillingham All Saints & Gillingham St. Mary, Haddiscoe, Hales, Hardley, Heckingham, Hedenham, Kirby Cane,Langley, Loddon, Mundham, Norton Subcourse, Raveningham, Seething, Stockton, Thorpe next Haddiscoe, Thurlton, Thwaite St. Mary, Topcroft, Toft Monks, Wheatacre All Saints, Woodton.
Alpington, Arminghall, Ashby, Bergh Apton, Bixley, Bramerton, Brooke, Caistor St.Edmunds, Carleton St. Peter, Claxton, Framingham Earl, Framingham Pigot, Hillington (or Hellington), Holverstone, Howe, Kirby Bedon, Kirstead, Lakenham, Poringland Great (or East), Poringland Little (or West), Rockland St. Mary, Saxlingham-Thorpe & Nethergate, Shotesham All Saints, Shotesham St. Mary & St. Martin, Sisland, Stoke Holy Cross, Surlingham, Thurton, Trowse (with Newton), Whitlingham, Yelverton.
Bodney, Cockley-Cley, East Bradenham, Great Cressingham, Hilborough, Holme Hale, Houghton-on-the-Hill, Little Cressingham, Narborough (Narburgh), Narford, Necton, Newton by Castleacre, North Pickenham, South Pickenham, Southacre, Sporle with Palgrave, Swaffham, West Bradenham.
Buckenham Tofts (or Buckenham Parva), Caldecote, Colveston, Cranwich, Croxton (near Thetford), Didlington, Feltwell St. Mary & St. Nicholas, Foulden, Gooderstone, Hockwold cum Wilton, Igborough, Langford, Lynford, Methwold, Mundford, Northwold, Oxborough, Santon, Stanford, Sturston, Weeting with Bromehill, West Tofts.
Barford, Barnham-Broom, Bawburgh, Bowthorpe, Brandon Parva, Carleton-Forehoe, Colton, Costessey (or Cossey), Coston, Crownthorpe, Deopham, Easton, Hackford (near Wymondham), Hingham, Honingham, Kimberley, Marlingford, Morley St. Botolph, Morley St. Peter, Runhall, Welborne, Wicklewood, Wramplingham, Wymondham.
Cranworth, East Dereham, East Tuddenham, Garvestone, Hardingham, Hockering, Hoe, Letton, Mattishall, Mattishall Burgh, North Tuddenham, Reymerston, Shipdham, Southburgh, Thuxton, Westfield, Whinbergh (Whinburgh), Wood Rising, Yaxham.
Barton Turf, Brumstead, Catfield, East Ruston, Happisburgh (or Hasbro'), Hempstead, Hickling, Horsey-next-the-Sea, Ingham, Irstead, Lessingham, Ludham, Palling-near-the-Sea, Potter Heigham, Ridlington, Stalham, Sutton, Walcott, Waxham.
Ashmanhaugh, Bacton, Beeston St. Lawrence, Bradfield, Crostwight, Dilham, Eccles next the Sea, Edingthorpe, Felmingham, Honing, Horning, Hoveton St. John, Hoveton St. Peter, Neatishead, North Walsham, Paston, Sco-Ruston (or South Ruston), Sloley, Smallburgh, Swafield, Tunstead, Westwick, Witton (near North Walsham), Worstead.
Whittington parish was created out of Northwold and added to Cranwich Deanery (South Division) in Archdeaconry of Norfolk.
Brisley, Colkirk, East Rainham (or Rainham St. Mary), Gateley, Great Ryburgh, Helhoughton, Hempton, Horningtoft, Oxwick, Pudding Norton, Rougham, Shereford, South Rainham (or Rainham St. Martin), Testerton, Tittleshall, Toftrees, Weasenham All Saints, Weasenham St. Peter, Wellingham, West Rainham (or Rainham St. Margaret), Whissonsett.
Beeston next Mileham, Beetley, East Bilney, East Lexham, Great Dunham, Great Fransham, Gressenhall, Kempston, Litcham, Little Bittering, Little Dunham, Little Fransham, Longham, Mileham, North Elmham, Pattesley, Scarning, Stanfield, Swanton Morley, Wendling, West Lexham, Worthing.
Alby, Baconsthorpe, Banningham, Barningham Parva, Blickling, Calthorpe, Colby, Corpusty, East Beckham, Erpingham, Heydon, Ingworth, Irmingland, Itteringham, Mannington, Oulton, Saxthorpe, Thwaite All Saints, West Beckham, Wickmere, Wolterton.
Aylsham, Belaugh, Booton, Brampton, Burgh, Buxton, Cawston, Coltishall, Hautbois-Magna, Hevingham, Lammas with Little Hautbois, Marsham, Oxnead, Scottow, Skeyton, Stratton Strawless, Swanton Abbot, Tuttington.
Barton Bendish, Beechamwell, Bexwell, Boughton, Crimplesham, Denver, Downham Market, Fincham, Fordham, Hilgay, Holme next Runcton, Marham, Roxham, Ryston, Shingham, Shouldham, Shouldham-Thorpe, South Runcton, Southery, Stoke Ferry, Stow-Bardolph, Stradsett, Tottenhill, Wallington cum Thorpland, Watlington, West Dereham, Wereham, Wimbotsham, Wormegay, Wretton.
Upwell Christchurch (Camb), Outwell, Upwell St Peter, Welney.
The Archdeaconry of Lynn was formed from Deaneries in the Archdeaconries of Norwich and Norfolk. The county was effectively split into three distinct regions with the Archdeaconries of Norwich and Norfolk also exchanging some Deaneries.
Welney up till Sept 1895 was partly in Norfolk and partly in Cambridgeshire. This latter part then became a separate parish called West Welney and was moved into the County of Norfolk. It stayed in Fincham Deanery (Western Division) in Archdeaconry of Lynn.
Downham West parish created and added to Fincham Deanery (Eastern Division) in Archdeaconry of Lynn.
Hunstanton St Edmund parish was created out of Hunstanton and added to Heacham Deanery in Archdeaconry of Norfolk.
Nordelph (or Northdelph) parish created and added to Fincham Deanery in Archdeaconry of Lynn.
New Catton St Luke parish was created out of New Catton Christ Church, Hellesdon and Catton and added to Norwich Deanery in Archdeaconry of Norfolk.
Marshland St James parish created from Walpole St Peter and added to Lynn Marshland Deanery in the Archdeaconry of Wisbech.
Deaneries were again moved around and some moved to the Diocese of Ely.
Further information can be found in the sources in the reference books section.
The table reflects the status of the Deaneries as of 1980. "IOE" is the Isle of Ely, and "WISB" is Wisbech.
IOE or WISB
|Breccles||1918-1970||1894-1918||Up to 1894|
|Brisley (*)||1917-1970||Up to 1885|
|Brooke (*)||Up to 1970|
|Burnham||1894-1970||Up to 1894|
|Cranwich (*)||1894-1918||Up to 1894|
|Feltwell||1917 on (WISB)|
|Fincham (*)||Up to 1894|| 1914-1917 (IOE)|
1917 on (WISB)
|Heacham||1894-1970||Up to 1894|
|Hingham (*)||Up to 1970|
|Holt||1918 onwards||Up to 1918|
|Ingworth (*)||-All dates-|
|Lynn||1918 onwards||Up to 1866|
|Lynn Marshland||1894-1914||1866-1894|| 1914-1917 (IOE)|
1917 on (WISB)
|Norwich||Up to 1970|
|Norwich East||1970 onwards|
|Norwich West||1970 onwards|
|Norwich South||1970 onwards|
|Repps||Up to 1894||1894 onwards|
|Rockland||Up to 1970|
|Sparham||Up to 1846||1846 onwards|
|Taverham||Up to 1970|
|Thetford||1894-1964||1964-1970||Up to 1894|
|Toftrees||Up to 1885|
|Walsingham||1894-1970||Up to 1894|
|Waxham (*)||Up to 1894||1894 onwards|
See the next section for those Deaneries marked thus (*).
Some of the Deaneries were sub-divided as follows :-
|Deanery||Divisions or Deaneries||Dates|
|Brisley|| North Brisley and
(see table above)
| South Brisley|
|Brooke||Eastern Division||Western Division||1870-1917|
|Cranwich||North Division||South Division||1870-1917|
|Fincham||Eastern Division||Western Division||1891-1917|
|Hingham||Forehoe Division||Mitford Division||1870-1917|
|Ingworth||North Division||South Division||1890-1917|
|Waxham||Happing Division||Tunstead Division||1870-1917|
|3|| Earlham & Bowthorpe||1938||Humbleyard||Created from 1 & 2|
|4||Earlham St Anne||1938||Norwich||Created from 3|
|5|| Mile Cross|
|1932||Norwich|| Created from
New Catton-St Luke,
Hellesdon & Heigham
More information can be found in :-
If there is any further information about locations it can be found in the places and the poor law union pages.